That moment when I have to go up the spiral staircase the second time.
Smithee: An Experiment in Futility
A downloadable Experiment for Windows and macOS
Smithee is about terrible ideas coming together to make something (possibly) beautifully broken.
This was an experiment to try and salvage pieces of old, scrapped games and turn them into something I could release. It was also an experiment create a game with an aimless design direction. By this I mean a game made with no design goals, no direction, and nothing planned beforehand. I wanted to see if it could work and where it would take me.
The end result is a surrealist/fluxus experience that hearkens back to games like Myst & LSD while commenting on the frustrations of making games.
You'll journey through apartments, office buildings, house parties, restaurants, and even hidden underground lairs.
Explore a world/narrative with multiple paths, and uncover the mystery, reaching one of
three five(?) four possible endings.
Smithee: Extra Janky Edition includes added frustrations, like:
- Unskippable text. Time that text remains onscreen varies between 1-2 sec. in various locations.
- Added movement difficulty if a controller is plugged in. You will fight against the current of an invisible tide wherever you go.
- Missing Content. Game is presented in its original release format.
WSAD - Move
SPACE - Jump
Left Mouse - Interact/pick up opjects
*NOTE: If you're stuck on a slope or stairs, try jumping. If you don't see a portal, swap the books.
Unorthodox exploration leads to interesting finds. Don't be afraid to break out of bounds.
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- (Bugfix) Introducing Standard and Extra Janky EditionsJan 27, 2018
- Smithee Released!Jan 25, 2018